1930 the population of
The rise in population caused severe housing shortages,
and by the mid-1990s housing was still in short supply.
URBAN LANDSCAPE The city is divided into two sections by the
OF INTEREST Noteworthy
secular structures include the Palace of Justice (1864), the Stirbey Palace
(1835), the National Bank (1885), the Presidential Palace (previously Cotroceni
Palace; 17th century with later additions), and the buildings of the Central
Library of the University (1893). In the 20th century, the
AND CULTURAL INSTITUTIONS Educational
city has several libraries, including the National Library (1955) and the
Library of the
The history of
In 1859 Bucharest became the administrative center of the united principalities of Walachia and Moldavia, under Ottoman suzerainty. By the decisions of the Congress of Berlin, which provided for a general settlement of the Balkan situation after the Russo-Turkish War of 1877 and 1878 (see Russo-Turkish Wars), Romania was recognized as an independent country with Bucharest as its capital. German troops occupied Bucharest from December 1916 until mid-1918 during World War I. During World War II Romanian dictator Ion Antonescu admitted German troops into Romania in October 1940, and the Germans occupied Bucharest until 1944. Weakened by Romanian insurrection and Allied bombings, the Germans surrendered when Soviet forces entered the city in August. Soviet military occupation lasted until 1958.
In addition to the ravages of several wars, Bucharest has endured epidemics of bubonic plague, fires, and earthquakes. In 1977 an earthquake resulted in the death of more than 1500 people and extensive property damage. Another earthquake occurred in 1990, but caused only minor damage.
Ultimele referate adaugate
- Mihai beniuc - „poezii"
- Mihai eminescu - student la berlin
- Mircea Eliade - Mioara Nazdravana (mioriţa)
- Chirita in provintie de Vasile Alecsandri -expunerea subiectului
- Dragoste de viata de Jack London
|Ion Luca Caragiale
- Triumful talentului… (reproducere) de Ion Luca Caragiale
- Fantasticul in proza lui Mircea Eliade - La tiganci
- „Personalitate creatoare” si „figura a spiritului creator” eminescian
- Enigma Otiliei de George Calinescu - geneza, subiectul si tema romanului
- Arta literara in romanul Ion, - Liviu Rebreanu