Every February, across the country, candy, flowers, and gifts are exchanged between loved ones, all in the name of St. Valentine. But who is this mysterious saint and why do we celebrate this holiday?
The history of Valentine's Day -- and its patron saint -- is shrouded in mystery. But we do know that February has long been a month of romance. St. Valentine's Day, as we know it today, contains vestiges of both Christian and ancient Roman tradition.
So, who was Saint Valentine and how did he become associated with this
ancient rite? Today, the Catholic Church recognizes at least three different saints named Valentine or
Valentinus, all of whom were martyred. One legend contends that Valentine was
a priest who served during the third century in
According to one legend, Valentine actually sent the first 'valentine'
greeting himself. While in prison, it is believed that Valentine fell in love
with a young girl -- who may have been his jailor's daughter -- who visited
him during his confinement. Before his death, it is alleged that he wrote her
a letter, which he signed 'From your Valentine,' an expression that is still
in use today. Although the truth behind the Valentine legends is murky, the
stories certainly emphasize his appeal as a sympathetic, heroic, and, most
importantly, romantic figure. It's no surprise that by the Middle Ages, Valentine was one of the most
popular saints in
Pope Gelasius declared February 14 St.
Valentine's Day around 498 A.D. The Roman 'lottery' system for romantic
pairing was deemed un-Christian and outlawed. Later, during the Middle Ages, it was commonly believed in
The oldest known valentine still in existence today was a poem written
by Charles, Duke of Orleans to his wife while he was imprisoned in the
Ultimele referate adaugate
- Mihai beniuc - „poezii"
- Mihai eminescu - student la berlin
- Mircea Eliade - Mioara Nazdravana (mioriţa)
- Chirita in provintie de Vasile Alecsandri -expunerea subiectului
- Dragoste de viata de Jack London
|Ion Luca Caragiale
- Triumful talentului… (reproducere) de Ion Luca Caragiale
- Fantasticul in proza lui Mircea Eliade - La tiganci
- „Personalitate creatoare” si „figura a spiritului creator” eminescian
- Enigma Otiliei de George Calinescu - geneza, subiectul si tema romanului
- Arta literara in romanul Ion, - Liviu Rebreanu